Sunday, September 25, 2016

Starting Fall 2016

I slightly over-estimated how much work I could get done over the summer while balancing my personal obligations. I started summer with the goal of learning a classes worth of C++ on my own, and I was 90% successful. Why 90%? Because I got a job at my University. And because pointers are hard.

I used "Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup (The guy who created C++) as my primary resource for learning. Starting from Hello World!, to inputs, conditionals, functions, switch statements, loops, vectors, and finally structs. After getting those basics down, structs and pointers were the real heavy hitters I needed to cover. I got through structs, but ran out of time before pointers. Which is a bummer since that is probably the hardest thing I'll have to cover.

Like the title says, Fall term has started. I'll only be doing 13 credits spread between 3 classes, but it's different this time as 8 of those credits are at University rather than Community College. The difference? Required labs and recitation separate from the normal class schedule. Add that to my new job, Doing IT for one of the college at University, and things are about to get all busy again, but at least I am still learning and now making money in a field that's really intriguing.

What next? I don't know. I'll keep this blog going on programming and engineering adventures. Hopefully I'll get back to the HL2 mod, or maybe start modding another game. Fallout 4 perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting Fall 2016

I slightly over-estimated how much work I could get done over the summer while balancing my personal obligations. I started summer with the ...