Sunday, January 24, 2016

Never enough time.

Oh Boy has it been awhile, but I haven't forgotten about you. As a full time University student who spends his free time doing homework and babysitting, I don't have the time to make too much progress. Here we are in the fourth week of the term and I'm doing my best to keep on top of my work while babysitting, but I think I might have enough free time to get back into this.

I have tons of game ideas I'd love to make a reality. Most of them aren't too original and probably have too large of a scope, but I think it's worth it as long as I start out small. After that pong clone I got to work on a Mario clone (and by clone I mean an exact recreation) but I hit a few roadblocks and couldn't find the time or motive to get back into it. I tried out using GameMaker but it didn't appeal to me. Yes the drag and drop system was easy to use, but I felt like it was always holding me back in a way a script wouldn't. Plus, 2D games don't have that large of an appeal to me.

So where am I now? Well I'm working with the Source Engine. Dated, harder to work with, and a lot more technical, I'm starting to get a hang of the basics. So far I've focused mainly on building a map. I'm choosing to stick with the Source engine because making a mod with nearly all the assets and programming already done is much more preferable then starting from scratch with Unity3D and trying to figure out how to get their free assets to work together to make something decent. Plus, I love Half-Life and it's universe.

So here we are. I'm back again because Raghav from Black Shell Media told me to be more accountable for the projects I start and need to make a habit out of making progress, and that's what this blog is for. So you (random person on the internet) can hold me accountable for my projects. My goal as I state here now: Post on this blog weekly and have something to show for it.

Until next time!

-Dr.N

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting Fall 2016

I slightly over-estimated how much work I could get done over the summer while balancing my personal obligations. I started summer with the ...