Wednesday, May 6, 2015

My First Game (So far)

After months of debate on what I was going to do, and the lack of motivation, I decided to should make SOMETHING to get started in the world of game development. Looking up where to start, I went to Reddit's /r/gamedev . Their FAQ recommended to start with the simplest game out there, Pong, so that's what I did.


Using noobtuts.com was a great way to start off with Unity. It showed me how to add all the assets, create collision boxes, and get everything working with a few C# files. You may notice that mine looks a little different then on the tutorial, and that's true. The tutorial gives you the basic game, but there is still more to be done to make it a "full game." Here is what I've done so far to improve on it and make it my own.

  • I added sound effects so whenever the ball bounces off something, it makes the classic noise.
  • Adjusted the camera and sizing of the objects to look more like the original
  • Made it so the ball increases speed over time to increase difficulty.
These things may not seem like much, but it is very gratifying to complete a new feature and look at your work. I don't want to make this some flashy/funny version of Pong, I just want to recreate the original the best I can that way I can move on to a new project. But, I have work to do first. I need to...
  • Add scoreboard/scoring
  • Add a sort of AI mode to play against the computer
  • Add a menu to select mode and also lead to some sort of credits.
After all that is complete, I can call it "done" and move onto something a bit more challenging, a Mario clone perhaps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting Fall 2016

I slightly over-estimated how much work I could get done over the summer while balancing my personal obligations. I started summer with the ...