Saturday, February 6, 2016

Moving outside.

Well. Here we are. Another week by and no progress. To be fair, it is half way through the term and midterm season. As I said last week, I wanted to show you outside my little testing building. 

So here it is. My little test building with a fake second floor and stairs to bring it out to the street.



I started to expand the street, adding buildings and making it look like an actual world.



Some of the buildings are made by me, and some are ripped straight from City 17. I'm sure it's hard to tell which is mine and which isn't. The Source Engine is really good at making linear object, and it's apparent if you stop to look at any building or structure made in the engine. This can of course be used to your advantage.



I even added an alley way with a little nook behind a building, mainly because I can. I have plans to expand on the roads and have it move into a courtyard area similar to that in the main sequence of city 17. I have a small story written out that would make up a small mod. It wouldn't be anything special with custom shaders or improved AI or anything. If anything, I can probably get my hands on some custom models and maybe better textures.. but of course, I need a world to put them in first.

There's something really satisfying about walking around in the world you create. Add some node graphing to have your squad follow you around and you feel like your world is actually becoming something. I plan on my mod being a couple of maps and I'm far from having something to show off for it. Hopefully this next week will be a bit better and I can work on expanding my map, or at least do some Codecademy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting Fall 2016

I slightly over-estimated how much work I could get done over the summer while balancing my personal obligations. I started summer with the ...